TrueRide by Auto-Owners - Customer FAQ
How does TrueRide by Auto-Owners™ work?
TrueRide by Auto-Owners™ is an optional program offered to those customers that want to be rewarded for their positive driving behavior. Upon enrollment, you receive an immediate discount and will be prompted, via text message, to download the TrueRide by Auto-Owners™ app. After activating, you just drive as you normally would and, based on your driving characteristics, you might qualify for a larger discount at your next renewal.
How do I enroll in TrueRide by Auto-Owners™?
You can enroll by contacting your Auto-Owners agent. If you are not a current Auto-Owners customer, please go to www.auto-owners.com to find a local independent Auto-Owners agent near you.
Can participating in the program increase my premium?
No. There is no surcharge while enrolled. You will receive a discount for enrolling and that discount will be adjusted at your first (and subsequent) renewal based upon your driving score.
How is my policy discount determined?
An initial discount for enrolling in the program is given to each enrolled driver. At your policy’s first renewal, each enrolled driver will receive a score based on their driving, which will determine their renewal discount (renewal discount ranges from 0-35% with 15% being the average discount).
Where do I see my policy discount?
Your discount will be displayed on your policy declarations.
How often is my discount calculated?
After enrollment it will be adjusted and applied at each subsequent renewal based on your driving characteristics.
Why does the score on my policy declarations not match what is in my app?
The score on your declarations is determined when your renewal is processed. The score in your app is real-time and can change with each drive.
Can I opt out of the program?
Yes, you can end your participation at any time by contacting your Auto-Owners agent. However, you will lose your program discount.
How does the app work?
Just activate the app. You never need to start, stop, open, or close your app to accurately capture your driving characteristics.
How do I know if my phone is eligible?
Most Android and Apple smartphones are eligible. To verify, just visit the Google Play or the Apple Store from your phone. If you are able to download the TrueRide by Auto-Owners™ app, your phone is eligible! Ineligible phones will receive a message saying the device is not compatible.
Hardware requirements: Phone, Network, Location/GPS, Accelerometer, Compass and Gyroscope.
Operation System requirements: iOS 9 or later; Android 4.4 and up.
How does the app know when I’m the driver?
The app uses state-of-the-art technology that analyzes your driving behavior to identify whether you are a driver in a car, a passenger in a car, or traveling via some other mode of transit.
What if the app thinks I was a driver when I wasn’t?
In the event the app misclassifies a trip, you can tap on the trip and edit the mode by tapping the transit mode icon in the top right. This information helps the app better classify future trips.
How does the app affect my battery life?
Like any app that uses your location, it can affect your battery life. The app uses a negligible amount of battery when you’re not driving, and slightly more while you’re taking a trip. Most people won’t notice a significant difference in battery usage after installing the app, but if you have a particularly long commute or have an older phone, you may want to plug in while driving.
How does the app affect my data plan?
The app is designed to minimize data usage to an unnoticeable level. Data is transmitted using either WiFi or your data plan, depending on which network is available at the time of upload. The app is expected to use between 30 and 60 MB per month, which represents a very small fraction of the average data plan (usually at least 1000 – 2000 MB per month).
What driving characteristics are used to calculate my score/discount?
In the TrueRide by Auto-Owners™ program, your score is a measure of how safely you drive. Possible scores range from 0-100. The most important factors are:
- Smoothness (e.g., harsh acceleration, harsh braking)
- Time of Day (e.g., rush hour, late night)
- Roads (e.g., highways vs. local roads)
Each factor is also scored from 0-100, with 100 being the safest. Your score will update about 5-10 minutes after each trip you complete.
I have taken a drive. Why don’t I have a score?
If you've driven a car since you've installed TrueRide by Auto-Owners™, you should have a score attached to your home screen with a score breakdown.
There are a few reasons why you might not have a score after you've taken a drive:
- TrueRide by Auto-Owners™ hasn't been granted required permissions. The app needs authorization to use your location, and if you've turned off location services globally or revoked the app's authorization since you set it up, it may be unable to record your drives. Make sure you have location services enabled both globally and for TrueRide by Auto-Owners™ specifically.
- Your trip isn't done processing. After you complete a drive, it generally takes around 5-10 minutes for the app to compile your driving data, send it to our servers for processing, and get the results back into your app. Try waiting a few minutes and returning to the app.
- We thought you weren't driving. On the home screen, tap on All Trips and you should see a list of trips below it. If none of the trips have a steering wheel or car icon next to them, we haven't detected you as a driver yet. To correct a trip, tap on it from the trip list, then tap the icon in the upper right of the trip detail view that appears.
- You were in Travel Mode during the trip. If you enabled Travel Mode (for airplane flights or long train journeys) your trips won't be recorded for a set period of time.
- You force-quit TrueRide by Auto-Owners™. Although in some cases forcing the app closed will still result in your trips being captured, in other cases it may not be able to resume itself in the background. On both iOS and Android devices, force-quitting TrueRide by Auto-Owners™ will not improve your battery life or device performance.
What if I get a new phone number?
Simply contact your agent and they can make the necessary changes to activate your new number.
What if I get a new phone?
As long as you have the same number, you just need to download the app to your new phone and follow the prompts to activate the app.
I’ve got a question that’s not addressed here.
If you have a question, you can contact us from the menu at the top left of the home screen under "Support” or email us directly at TrueRide.Support@aoins.com.