Applicant Privacy Notice
When you apply for a position at Auto-Owners, we will collect and process personal information about you necessary for the recruiting and hiring process. Auto-Owners collects and records your personal data from a variety of sources, but mainly directly from you. You may provide this information directly to our personnel, through your resumé or other identification documentation, by your participation in human resource (“HR”) processes, through e-mails you send to us, or through verbal communication that may be recorded electronically or manually, or from interviews with Auto-Owners personnel. Auto-Owners also obtains some personal information about you from third parties, such as from references, former employers criminal and driving records.
The types of personal information we may collect and process about you include, but are not limited to:
- Identity Information, including but not limited to first name and last name, Social Security Number, driver’s license number, home address, phone number, email address and contact information.
- Demographic Information, including but not limited to education, employment/professional information, employment history, titles and names of previous employers, skills and responsibilities related to previous work experience, any applicable credentials obtained, and criminal history,
- Commercial Information, including but not limited to DMV records and credit information.
Auto-Owners also obtains some personal information about you from third parties, such as from your professional references, your former employers, service providers conducting background checks on you. These entities provide Identity, Demographic, and Commercial Information as listed above.
As a job applicant, we may collect, store, use, disclose or, otherwise, process the categories of personal information listed above for the purpose of facilitating the review and processing of your application, specifically to:
- Assess your suitability for employment for the role for which you are applying, as well as future roles that may become available.
- Perform recruitment related administrative functions.
- Communicate with you about your application.
- Conduct background checks.
- Comply with applicable laws, for legal purposes to defend claims, or to investigate violations of law or breaches of our own internal policies.
- Perform any other legitimate purposes required by us as a potential employer.
We take care to limit access to your personal information to only those who require such access to perform their tasks and duties in connection with your application, and/or to approved third parties who have a legitimate business purpose in doing so. Whenever we permit a third party to access personal information, we will implement appropriate measures to ensure the information is used in a manner consistent with this Notice and that the security and confidentiality of the information is maintained. We may disclose your personal information:
- To our service providers. These providers facilitate our review and evaluation of your application for employment. These service providers may include vendors that perform background checks or review reference checks, or other vendors who provide HR services to Auto-Owners Insurance Group℠.
- Your former employers or professional references. We may disclose some necessary personal information in order to obtain references or other information to support your application.
- To our database hosting vendors. Like many organizations, we utilize cloud databases to host our data, including your personal information, so that we can effectively and safely perform our business operations like evaluating and selecting potential employees.
We may also disclose personal information to third parties on other lawful grounds, such as:
- To comply with our legal obligations, including where necessary to abide by law, regulation or contract, or to respond to a court order, administrative or judicial process, including, but not limited to, a subpoena, government audit or search warrant.
- In response to lawful requests by public authorities (including for national security or law enforcement purposes).
- As necessary to establish, exercise or defend against potential, threatened or actual litigation.
- Where necessary to protect the vital interests of another person.
- In connection with the sale, assignment or other transfer of all or part of our business.
We do not sell your personal information to third parties and have not sold your personal information in the past twelve (12) months.
We will take a range of reasonable measures to protect your personal information and to store it in a secure environment, whether that is in paper or electronic form. We will also take reasonable measures to protect any personal information from misuse, loss and/or unauthorized access, modification, or disclosure.
Your personal information will be kept as long as needed to carry out the purposes described in this Notice or as otherwise required by applicable law. This means your personal information may be retained after the application process is complete even if you do not become an employee of Auto-Owners.
Auto-Owners recognizes that you may have additional privacy questions or need further information. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns regarding this Notice or Auto-Owners privacy practices, please submit a request via e-mail to:
If you have any questions regarding the application process in general, please contact RecruitingAssistants@aoins.com.
How do we update this Notice?
This Notice may be updated periodically to reflect any necessary changes in our privacy practices. You will be able to see when we last updated this Notice because we will include a revision date.