We refer to the above websites and all related websites as “sites” and to each of them as a “site.” When we refer to “we,” “us,” or “our,” we mean Auto-Owners, or the specific division, subsidiary, or affiliate that operates a site, provides its content, or processes information received through it, each as appropriate and applicable. When we refer to “you” or “your,” we mean the person accessing the site. If the person accessing the site does so on behalf of, or for the purposes of, another person, including a business or other organization, “you” or “your” also means that other person, including a business organization.
WHAT INFORMATION WE COLLECT
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
WHEN AND WITH WHOM DO WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
HOW TO RESTRICT COOKIES
THIRD-PARTY ADVERTISING AND ANALYTICS
HOW LONG WE RETAIN YOUR INFORMATION
WEB ACCESSIBILITY STATEMENT
CHILDREN'S ONLINE PRIVACY PROTECTION ACT (COPPA) COMPLIANCE AND RELATED INFORMATION
CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
We take your privacy and the protection of your personal information seriously. We will only store, process and disclose your personal information in accordance with applicable law. We will make it clear when we your collect personal information and will explain what we intend to do with it. We do our best to protect your privacy through the appropriate use of information security measures.
1. Information You Provide To Us Directly
Auto-Owners may collect different information from or about you depending on the manner in which you use our sites or Services. For example, we routinely obtain information through applications, forms related to our products or services, from visiting www.auto-owners.com, and your transactions with us. We may obtain such information from our affiliates, third parties or consumer reporting agencies.
The type of information that we collect depends on the Services provided, but may include your name, address, contact information, Social Security number, driver’s license or passport number, credit history, claims history, information to properly investigate and resolve any claims, or billing information. The nature and extent of the information we obtain varies based on the nature of the products and services you receive.
Auto-Owners collects information from various types of individuals in its ordinary course of business: insureds, agents, claimants, employees, vendors, visitors to its websites, etc. The following examples are provided to help you better understand the information we may collect through your use of the sites or in the course of us providing our Services.
- Identity Information includes first name, middle name, last name, date of birth, gender, username or similar identifier, Social Security number, driver’s license number, tax identification number, passport number, occupation, marital status, etc.
- Contact Information includes personal mailing address, home address, email address, telephone number, etc.
- Medical Information includes medical history, current medical condition, etc. We may obtain your Medical Information with your permission, or as otherwise allowed or required by law.
- Property Information includes real property, such as acreage, building, home information, alarm systems, geolocation, fixtures, real property records, etc.; and personal property, such as automobile descriptors (VIN number, car type and model, etc), personal property records, etc.
- Financial Information includes loan numbers, mortgage numbers, bank account information, and payment card details, etc.
- Insurance Information includes claims history; credit history; Identity Information; Contact Information; Property Information; household member Identity Information, driving record; insurance policy information, such as coverages, limits, deductibles; Medical Information; etc.
- Claims Information including police reports, recorded statements, Insurance Information, etc.
- Transaction Information includes details about the products and services you have purchased from us and the corresponding transactions, including your independent agency.
- Technical Information includes internet protocol (IP) address, your login data, time zone setting and location (geocodes), logs, pages visited, pages viewed, events and page loads, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access this website, etc.
- Profile Information includes your username and password, your preferences, Contact Information, etc.
- Usage Information includes information about how you use our website, products and services.
2. Information Received From Third Parties
To assist in providing you our Services, including underwriting and servicing your policy, we may obtain nonpublic personal information about you from third parties such as our affiliates, independent insurance agents, governmental agencies, third-party vendors, or consumer reporting agencies.
You may also access our sites through third-party platforms, such as Facebook. If you use our sites on or through a third-party platform, including via any mobile and/or other Internet connected devices, or click on third-party links, the collection, use, and disclosure of your information and your use of the sites will also be subject to the privacy policies and other terms of such third parties or third-party platforms. You should review such privacy policies, terms, and other agreements.
3. Collection Of Technical Information And Usage Information
When you access Auto-Owners’ sites, we automatically collect certain information. This information may include without limitation: (a) technical information about your computer or wireless device, such as your IP address, geolocation information, device type, operating system type and version, unique device ID, browser, browser language, domain and other systems information or platform types (collectively “Technical Information”); and (b) usage statistics about your interaction with Auto-Owners’ sites, including pages accessed, referring website address(es), time spent on pages, pages visited, search queries, click data, date and time and other information regarding your use of Auto-Owners’ sites (collectively “Usage Information”).
4. Collection Of Information From Claimants Who Are Not Insureds
Individuals not insured through Auto-Owners might provide personal information when filing a claim with Auto-Owners. Such personal information could include any of the information listed above.
We may use information about you for a number of purposes, including:
1. Providing, Improving And Developing Our Services
- Underwriting your policy;
- Processing and handling claims;
- Reviewing and analyzing user browser and wireless device technical information;
- Reviewing user activity across sites (for example, Auto-Owners analyzes trends, user traffic and usage information to determine the performance of content, research reports or events);
- Processing or recording payment transactions or money transfers;
- Otherwise providing you with the Auto-Owners Services and features you choose to use, including responding to claims from those who are not insured through Auto-Owners;
- Displaying your historical transaction information;
- Providing, maintaining and improving our Services;
- Developing new products and Services;
- Delivering the information and support you request;
- Improving, personalizing and facilitating your use of our Services; and
- Measuring, tracking and analyzing trends and usage in connection with your use or the performance of our Services.
2. Communicating With You About Our Services
We may use your Contact Information, such as your telephone number and email address, to communicate with you to:
- Respond to questions or concerns;
- Send you information you have requested from us about our Services;
- Provide updates about your policy and/or claims, and
- Manage your account preferences and registration information and establish your profile,.
3. Protecting Our Services And Maintaining A Trusted Environment
- Preventing fraud;
- Enforcing our Terms of Service or other applicable agreements or policies;
- Verifying your identity;
- Complying with any applicable laws or regulations, or in response to lawful requests for information from the government or through legal process;
- Fulfilling any other purpose disclosed to you in connection with our Services;
- Analyze trends and user traffic, track purchases and usage information; and
- Contacting you to resolve disputes and provide assistance with our Services.
4. Other Uses
- For any other purpose disclosed to you in connection with our Services from time to time.
1. We Do Not Sell Your Information
We do not sell your personal information to third parties, and we also do not allow the third parties with whom we share your personal information to sell it. Auto-Owners does not sell the personal information of minors under sixteen (16) years of age.
2. When And How We May Share/Disclose Your Information With Third Parties
When sharing information with third parties to help us conduct our business, we require them to protect your personal information. We do not permit them to use or share your personal information for any purpose other than the work they are doing on our behalf or as required by law.
The types of information disclosed may include personal information we collect as necessary to service your policy or account, investigate and pay claims, comply with state and federal regulatory requests or demands, and process other transactions that you request. Third parties that may receive disclosures may include your independent agent, regulators, reinsurance companies, fraud prevention agencies, insurance adjusters, data analysis service providers, and legal service providers.
We may also share your information with third-party companies that perform services on our behalf, including for payment processing, data analysis, marketing services, advertising services (including but not limited to retargeted advertising), e-mail and hosting services, and customer services and support.
3. Corporate Transactions
4. Disclosure Of Information For Legal Purposes
Auto-Owners may disclose all or part of your personal information when we have reason to believe that disclosing this information is necessary to identify, contact, or bring legal action against someone who may be violating any agreement with Auto-Owners or may be causing injury to or interference with (either intentionally or unintentionally) our rights or property, other users of our sites, or anyone else that could be harmed by such activities. We may disclose information in response to a subpoena, search warrant, in connection with judicial proceedings, or pursuant to court orders, legal process or other law enforcement measures. Auto-Owners may disclose or access personal information when we believe in good faith that the law requires it, to establish our legal rights, or to defend against legal claims, and for administrative and other purposes that we deem necessary to maintain, service, and improve our Services.
5. Analytics And Data Enrichment Services
To provide visitors with better service, the sites may use analytics software to track usage activity of the sites. The information collected is anonymous, aggregated data and does not contain personally identifiable information. If, at any time, you choose not to participate in the use of analytics software, please use your search engine’s (i.e. Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc.) available opt-outs for the web. In addition to basic analytics software, the sites may also use Remarketing, Google Display Network Impression Reporting, or Google Demographics and Interest Reporting from the data obtained through analytics software.
We use third-party analytics, such as Google Analytics, to advertise online. Third-party vendors, including Google and similar sites, may show our ads on websites across the internet. By using Google Analytics software, we are able to obtain third-party audience data. We use this data to make improvements to the site and may also utilize Google’s interest-based advertising. Using Google’s Ad Settings, visitors can opt-out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising and customize Google Display Network ads. For more information, see the THIRD-PARTY ADVERTISING AND ANALYTICS section below.
6. Aggregated, Anonymized Or De-identified Information
We may disclose or use aggregated, anonymized, or de-identified information for any purpose. Aggregated, anonymized or de-identified information is information that can no longer reasonably identify a specific individual. Although such information may be derived from your personal information, it can no longer directly or indirectly reveal your identity.
Session cookies are used to identify a particular visit to Auto-Owners’ sites and collect information about your interaction with the sites. These cookies expire after a short time or when the user closes their web browser after using the sites. Auto-Owners uses these cookies to identify a user during a single browsing session, such as when you log into the sites. This helps Auto-Owners improve the sites and Services as well as improve the users’ browsing experience.
Persistent cookies will remain on a user’s device for a set period of time specified in the cookie. Auto-Owners uses these cookies to identify and recognize a specific user over a longer period of time. They allow Auto-Owners the ability to:
- Analyze the usage of the sites in order to improve our offering;
- Determine if a certain page was visited or whether an email sent by Auto-Owners was opened or clicked on by a user
- Test different versions of the sites to see which particular features or content users prefer in order to optimize the sites; and
- Store information about a user’s browser and settings preferences to provide a more personalized and functional experience to users with more relevant content and course recommendations.
Auto-Owners uses tracking technology to: (i) determine if a certain page was visited or whether an email sent by Auto-Owners was opened or clicked on by a user and (ii) to customize the experience of individual users by recommending specific content.
We also use clear gifs in HTML-based emails sent to our users to track which emails are opened and clicked on by recipients. We may use the information we obtain from the cookie in the administration of the sites to improve the usability of the sites, for marketing purposes, to recognize your computer when you visit our sites, and to personalize our sites for you.
Cookies and information captured through our sites are stored for a certain retention period; however, you can eliminate these cookies any time before the expiration date. Most Web browsers accept cookies by default, but allow a user to disable them. You may disable cookies by visiting your internet browser settings; however, this may affect how the site displays on your computer.
You can adjust the settings in your browser in order to restrict or block cookies that are set by the sites (or any other website on the Internet). Your browser may include information on how to adjust your settings. Alternatively, you may visit www.allaboutcookies.org to obtain comprehensive general information about cookies and how to adjust the cookie settings on various browsers. This site also explains how to delete cookies from your computer.
You can control and delete these cookies through your browser settings through the following:
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Microsoft Edge
- Safari for iOS (iPhone and iPad)
- Chrome for Android
Or you can also use the following cookie management and disposal tool from Google Analytics by downloading and installing the browser plug-in from the following link: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Please be aware that restricting cookies may impact the functionality of the Services. Most browsers allow you to refuse to accept cookies. Additional general information about cookies, including how to be notified about the placement of new cookies and how to disable cookies, can be found at www.allaboutcookies.org.
To provide visitors with better service, each sites may use analytics software to track usage activity of that site. The information collected is anonymous, aggregated data and does not contain personally identifiable information. If, at any time, you choose not to participate in the use of analytics software, please use your search engine’s (i.e. Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc.) available opt-outs for the web. In addition to basic analytics software, the sites may also use Remarketing, Google Display Network Impression Reporting, or Google Demographics and Interest Reporting from the data obtained through analytics software.
We use remarketing with third-party vendors to advertise online. Their services may come from sites such as Google, Bing, Yahoo, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Adroll, and any other display advertising partner (collectively the "Platform Advertisers") to advertise on third-party websites to previous visitors to our site. These vendors may show our ads on websites across the internet.
We may collect information from other sources, such as social media platforms that may share information about how you interact with our social media content. We do not control how your personal information is collected, stored or used by such third-party websites or to whom it is disclosed. You should review the privacy policies and settings on any social media website that you subscribe to so that you understand the information they collect and may be sharing. If you do not want your social media websites to share information about you, you must contact that website and determine whether it gives you the opportunity to opt-out of sharing such information. Auto-Owners is not responsible for how these third-party websites may use information collected from or about you.
For instance, information collected through Google Analytics is shared with Google and its partners who may combine it with other information you provided to them or they collected from your use of their services. This information is stored in Google’s servers according to their privacy practices.
In some circumstances we may anonymize (make anonymous) your personal information for research or statistical purposes, in which case, we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you. This would mean that any personal identifiable information such as your name, address, date of birth, telephone number, etc., will be deleted after a defined period of time. The rest of the data is therefore anonymous and will be used to maintain a level of information that helps us develop and improve our sites and Services without any identifiable personal information.
We work hard to make sure you are able to get the information you need. If you have trouble reading or using material on the site, please send us an email at PublicWebsiteFeedback@aoins.com or call us toll free at 517-323-1200. We are happy to provide the material to you through other means.
The Children’s Online Privacy and Protection Act (COPPA) regulates online collection of information from persons under the age of 13. It is our policy to refrain from knowingly collecting or maintaining personal information relating to any person under the age of 18. If you are under the age of 18, please do not supply any personal information through the sites. If you are under the age of 18 and have already provided personal information through the sites, please have your parent or guardian contact us immediately using the information provided under CONTACT US so that we can remove such information from our files.
We take reasonable measures, including administrative, technical, and physical safeguards, to protect your information from loss, theft, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. We hold information about you both at our own premises and with the assistance of third-party service providers. Further public disclosure here of our security measures could aid those who might attempt to circumvent those security measures. If you have additional questions regarding security, please feel free to contact us directly using the information provided under CONTACT US. To ensure that our employees comply with our privacy policies, we have developed a training program that provides all employees with the tools and knowledge to protect your personal information in all aspects of their work. Any employee who violates our privacy policies may be subject to disciplinary action.
The California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) permits residents of California to have the following additional rights. For more information, or if you have questions, you can contact us using the information provided under CONTACT US.
1. California Residents Have The Right To Request Auto-Owners Disclose What Information It Collects, Uses And Discloses
California residents have the right to request that Auto-Owners disclose what specific personal information Auto-Owners collects, uses and discloses about them. The general categories of personal information Auto-Owners collects about California residents are listed above under WHAT INFORMATION WE COLLECT. If you are a California resident and would like to request the specific personal information that Auto-Owners collects, uses and discloses about you, please complete the form located at https://www.auto-owners.com/privacy/california-consumer-privacy-act. To verify any request, you will be required to provide information for verification. Failure to do so could result in Auto-Owners’ inability to comply with your request.
If you wish to use our toll-free number or have any questions, please submit your inquiry regarding your Right to Request to Auto-Owners under CONTACT US.
2. California Residents Have The Right To Request The Deletion Of Their Personal Information Maintained By Auto-Owners
California residents have the right to request that Auto-Owners delete the personal information Auto-Owners maintains about them. Please note that certain laws or other legal requirements may prevent personal information from being deleted. If you are a California resident and would like to request the deletion of your personal information, please complete the form located at https://www.auto-owners.com/privacy/california-consumer-privacy-act. To verify any request, you will be required to provide information for verification. Failure to do so could result in Auto-Owners’ inability to comply with your request.
If you wish to use our toll-free number or have any questions, please submit your inquiry regarding your Right to Delete to Auto-Owners under CONTACT US.
3. California Residents Have The Right to Opt-Out of The Sale of Their Personal Information Maintained By Auto-Owners
Under the CCPA, California residents have the right to opt-out of the sale of their data. However, Auto-Owners does not sell your personal information. Therefore, we do not provide you the ability to opt-out.
4. California Residents Have The Right To Non-Discrimination For The Exercise Of Their Privacy Rights Under The CCPA
Under the CCPA, California residents have the right not to receive discriminatory treatment by Auto-Owners for the exercise of their privacy rights. However, the exercise of certain privacy rights by California residents will make it so that Auto-Owners is no longer able to provide those residents with certain services.
5. California Residents Can Designate An Authorized Agent To Make A Request Under The CCPA On Their Behalf
By completing this AGENCY FORM, California residents can designate an authorized agent to make requests under the CCPA related to the residents’ personal information. Auto-Owners can deny any request made by an agent who does not submit proof that he or she has been properly authorized by the California resident to act on the California resident’s behalf.
6. Do Not Track
Auto-Owners Insurance Company
Phone: 844-359-4595 (toll free)